Drawing In The University Today is an International Conference on Drawing, Image and Research due to take place at the end of May 2013. This article is a call for papers.
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS – deadline: January 13, 2013
DRAWING IN THE UNIVERSITY TODAY is pleased to invite researchers, artists and students to submit theoretical papers and practice based projects. We propose to gather the emerging research on the presence of drawing, as a visual and performative strategy, in the university activity – from the visual arts and design to medicine, from sports to cognitive sciences, from geography to criminology, from engineering to communication sciences, from archeology to biology, from architecture to ethnography.
We suggest the following questions, among others, to address or challenge the conference theme:
- What perspectives are open to drawing practices at the disciplinary crossings of contemporary University? What crossings can be imagined?
- How can drawing practices contribute to an image based research in the University?
- Is there an iconography of scientific text? A specific visual imagination in scientific practice?
- How is drawing involved in a design process?
- What engagements can be imagined in the convergence of drawing and language?
- What processes relate drawing practices and performance in the University?
- What functions are driven by drawing in laboratorial or studio contexts?
- How does drawing relate active perception, cognition and creativity?
- How can drawing enhance teaching and learning strategies in the University?
All papers will be put through a peer review process and the Conference proceedings will be published electronically with an ISBN reference. A select group of submissions will be invited to participate in a special issue of PSIAX Journal.
WHAT: DRAWING IN THE UNIVERSITY TODAY – International Conference on Drawing, Image and Research
WHERE: University of Oporto, Portugal – Faculty of Fine Arts and Faculty of Architecture
WHO: Drawing Research Group – Institute of Research in Art, Design and Society
WHEN: 31 May – 01 June 2013
DRAWING IN THE UNIVERSITY TODAY is organized by the Drawing Research Group of I2ADS
Faculty of Fine Arts University of Oporto ;
Faculty of Architecture University of Oporto;
School of Architecture University of Minho
For more information please visit http://www.i2ads.org/dut2013
Deadline extension: January 28, 2013
We are pleased to announce that DRAWING IN THE UNIVERSITY TODAY had a very large number of abstract submissions.
Responding to those who were interested in participating, but have missed the deadline, we decided to extend the deadline for abstract submission to the 28th of January, 2013. We are proud to confirm, for now, the presence of Monika Weiss (polish-american artist) and Eduardo Souto Moura (Architect, winner of the Pritzker Prize in 2011) as Keynote Speakers. More news on DRAWING IN THE UNIVERSITY TODAY will come out soon at www.i2ads.org/dut2013/